Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas is coming

In the last 2 weeks, the only time I've spent in the sewing room has been sewing table toppers for family - a really fun thing for me!.  I choose a pair of fabrics, cut them out, and layer that set in a box, then layer another set.  That way I have the box of fabric sets so that when I sit down to the sewing machine, it's sew, press, trim, repeat to complete the top in about 25 minutes.  I have 10 table toppers completed now, all different fabric pairs, 1 more than I needed for the women in my family.  I don't know how I miscounted unless I counted myself!  And why shouldn't I have one too? 

I'm already thinking about what I'll make next year - maybe a few plank quilts or set of mug rugs.   It feels so good to be able to give something that I have made myself. 

I've made no inroads into my 'stack' of UFOs, and no thought about them until after the holidays.  I'm getting the house ready for my extended family's Christmas get-together this weekend.

I'm enjoying reading the blogs of other quilters who seem to be busier than I am at this time of year!  My favorite is Wanda Hansen's ExuberantColor who inspires me with her color selections,  I'd like to try some of Wanda's ideas - the plank quilt and the crooked cobblestones.  I'm trying to figure out how to make that one - it looks easy but doesn't look like I can strip piece it.  I believe they're in the public domain, but I may need to email her to ask permission.

I also follow Leah Day's FreeMotionQuilting.  I am trying to machine quilt and am improving a bit.  Leah is a natural teacher and such a pleasure to follow.  Her UFO Sunday has encouraged me to take another look at and list my UFOs and determine an order to finish them, and to weed out those that are not worth finishing and those that I can let go to others. 

I'm ready for Christmas too.  One present to pick up today and one coming in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment