Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Plank Quilt

This has been a frustrating few days  and a productive one.

The productive part was making the binding and backing for the streaky city quilt.  The binding is the same taupe as the borders, and the backing is a strong aqua just perfect for the strong brights in the quilt.  I found the aqua in my stash that I inherited from mama - there are about 8 yards of it so I guess she was planning for a backing too.

I saw on blogs beautiful plank or jellyroll quilts and thought I'd try it.  I didn't use a jellyroll, but cut all florals that I liked and a small dark floral for spacers.

It isn't difficult but took a really long time to sew all those strips!  I chose a medium dark floral for the 5 inch border.

The thing is - now that I made it, I don't like it and I don't know quite why.  I like all the fabrics.

There are a lot of places on the quilt that mirror the strips near it and the ones I see on blogs don't do that.  The lighter fabrics ended mostly in the middle too.

Another possible problem is not using the same value for the strips.  It makes me feel that I'm not at all good at selecting fabrics for a project.

There's no use in finishing and adding borders to this quilt.  I'd like to make another one - I could make it from a pre-made jellyroll, but I'd like to grow in my ability to select fabrics on my own for a project.

I'm not sure what project I'll attack next, but I hope it turns out better than this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment