Thursday, September 5, 2013

Cruise

I just returned from a magical quilt cruise to Alaska!  10 days of sight-
seeing and quilt classes - I was in heaven!  I went on this cruise at the prompting of my friend Joan.  Here are Joan and her husband Ken:
This was my first time on a cruise and first time in Alaska.  We saw salmon
jumping in Ketchikan, the Mendenhall glacier in Juneau, the beautiful Buschart Gardens in Victoria B.C., where I forgot my camera!  And every excursion included a visit to a quilt shop where most had some uniquely Alaskan products.  Here is a baby bear taking a nap!



 Sylvia Pippen's classes were eye-opening.  We worked on a felt salmon
hanging and an intricate sashiko and applique bouquet.  We learned to neatly sashiko, applique invisibly, preview fabrics for applique, and transfer a pattern onto fabric.  I had a hard time using the suggested 100wt poly - actually I couldn't make a knot in this slippery thread! - so when I got home I was more comfortable using silk.  They both make an invisible applique.  The number of applique pieces is really intimidating, so I'm not sure I will finish this one. 


The cruise's food was enough to bring me back again.  Such a variety of yummy things to choose from at breakfast and lunch, and our dinner table was reserved for our group each night where we got a choice of a dozen wonderful entrees.  And every night I had creme brulee, except for the last night when we had baked Alaska!  And what a ceremony!  The lights went down, then came a parade of kitchen staff, each member holding over his head a dessert on fire (well, with those little fake lights, you know) while we all applauded!  And everything was wonderfully delicious!

I didn't participate in many of the numerous activities since our group was on excursions and classes every day, and by the time dinner was over and my fellow travelers were seeing movies, magic shows, dancing, drinking, and participating in the many other evening activities, I was ready for bed!  I'm getting old (I will be 70 in a week)!

On the way home, I sat on my suitcase to get it closed with my clothes, fabrics, and gifts, so that I wouldn't have a paperbag carry-on.  The result was that it was 11 lbs over and I had to pay an additional $100!!  I am home, happily exhausted, and ready for my OWN bed!  And I'm planning where to go next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment