Sunday, September 23, 2012

Choosing Binding

I finished the meandering on the wild table runner, taking advice from Leah Day's Blog by meandering bigger - it covers the space and is easier for the beginning free motion quilter.  And it worked!  It went pretty quickly and I'm getting more used to the stitch regulator on my Bernina.

So now I was ready for the binding.  I found just the right material, but I had just barely enough.  The fabric went perfectly with the background of the runner, but I cut it wrong and didn't have enough after all.  So I looked at my stash and decided if I couldn't match maybe I'd contrast.  I found a pile of contemporary bright fabrics and I'm happier using them than I was with the plain binding!

I'll move the fabrics around a bit to make the colors balance and it will be done!  I even might turn it longways and hang it - a very colorful hanging!  And incidentally my design wall sure comes in handy!

I'm also trying to decide how to quilt the 'streaky' quilt.


The pattern (Zen Chic) shows lots of vertical stitching, and, well, you have to put Something in all that blank space.  I'm thinking about following the idea of hand stitching from TheSillyBooDilly:

- vertical machine stitching with multicolor hand stitching.  Looks cool, but time taking and I'm not sure how to make even hand stitching.

New decisions to make and work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment