Saturday, October 13, 2012

Boxed UFOs

As Leah suggested I let my UFOs talk to me and this is the result: 
I did have 33 UFOs: 24 in boxes and 9 tops (that I showed in a previous post).  One  became a WIP, 3 were downsized, 7 were thrown away, 4 will become someone else's UFO.  Now I have 12 UFOs that have no top yet and 8 UFO tops.  So 20 UFOs total.  Progress!  These are my boxed projects now - they used to fill that closet!


WIPs
Quilt top #1 - was UFO
Quilt top #10
Houses quilt

Here are my boxed UFOs:
These 7 are inherited from my mom.  Some were made when she was very sick, which makes them difficult to let loose of:
1-   Angel tree skirt - partly done applique project
2-   Pinwheel quilt - 100 4 1/2 inch squares made - pinwheels and patches - downsizing to just those already done to make baby quilt
3-   Dollbed quilts - barely started, toss 'em, recycle fabric
4-   Double Irish Chain quilt - completely cut, but I will (maybe) give this one away (vacillating)
5-   Mama quilt hanging - a dozen appliqued planned, will downsize to the 6 already done
6-   Morning Glory large quilt - lots done, lots to go, a keeper
7-   Elf in a box Christmas ornament - elf done, just need to buy piping and make the box
These I started:
8- Monster quilt #2 (another is a UFO top) - fussy-cut monsters behind openable doors (grandsons these were made for are now 12)
9- Friends  - to be given away
10- Nativity hanging - all piecing done, all of appliqued people to make, with no picture!
11- Variable Star - almost done, only border containing edges of stars to figure out
12- Lovebird Lane - squares are pieced, most of machine fusing and quilting to be done
13- Whimsical Garden hanging - 12 squares planned, downsized to 2 already done
14- Venice Rose hanging, toss the 1 square , recycle lots of batiks
15- Lone Star hanging - toss the 1 square, recycle lots of batiks
16- NSG hanging - save the 3 squares in 'extra squares' box, recycle lots of batiks
17-18- Father Christmas hangings (2) - will give these away
19-21- bags (3) - toss these
22- Fabric manipulation hanging - will keep going
23- Bird houses - 12 squares won at guild meeting - will be a hanging
24-Snowmen - also 12 squares won at quilt meeting - to be a hanging

I spent all week working on a UFO and enumerating UFOs.  It will be better if I spend some time on something new!  All work and no play, you know...  So I made some small halloween table toppers - only they're smaller than I thought they'd be, so they are 3 roomy placemats...




I am also starting one of my new projects - a house quilt that I saw on pinterest and happened (really!) to buy the same fabric for.  So far the house squares are done.



So... this week I will work on my new Houses Quilt, and another UFO - haven't decided yet which one.

10 comments:

  1. Yay! Good for you for organizing everything. That's half the battle sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking! and for appreciating the work I've done making this list!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I need to face all of my hidden UFOs for a quilting group challenge this week. I'm trying to come up with an incentive system to mix in new projects as I complete UFOs, I believe in rewards ;-D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these were hidden - in boxes that I hadn't opened in ages. Soo, opening every box and listing it and re-deciding was the big challenge here. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on all of this organization and downsizing! I know what you mean about some things being hard to let go, like the double Irish chain. It's okay to stick those in a box for a while. There's no deadline, especially when you have other things to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recognizing the work and heartache looking at all these projects. You are so right about the double irish chain, I've decided to not decide right now!! Thanks for taking time to comment!

      Delete
  4. Good for you for doing the organizing. I think it is something I also need to do. Some of my UFO's are not quilts, and I need to rethink those as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an enormous job believe me! Now I can recognize them by number and see what I've done with them. Yes, not all my UFOs are quilts also, I finally picked up some piping for that Christmas ornament today!

      Delete
  5. I will have to take a lesson from you and evaluate what's in all my boxes before they take over the house. Good job!You've motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you are going to do that too! I blogged these principly for myself not realizing that anyone would be reading them! Thanks so much for reading that long blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete