Saturday, January 26, 2013

heart runner

 Road to California was this week, and a friend and I braved the rain driving to Ontario to enjoy the quilts (and the vendors of course!)  I bought just a few items - pattern and material for a 'just right size' bag, and a pattern for a Noah's Ark hanging.  I have a weakness for Noah's Ark.

No work on UFOs this week - I needed some easy quilting.  And I seem to be leaning toward quilting that emphasizes color not only technique.  I took a class at Sewing Party to make a hearts runner, and took the opportunity to practice my free motion quilting.  I shadow quilted hearts within the heart, stippled in the background, and made waves in the border.  I even found heart fabric in my stash to use as the backing.

The outside border was supposed to be circles, but I didn't make them deep enough so I call them waves.  And I ran into a problem with that border.  I couldn't hang on the the outside close enough to avoid bumps where the border meets the background.  But I will use this small runner on my dining room table at Valentines Day time - as soon as I finish the jigsaw puzzle that's there now!

No comments:

Post a Comment