Thursday, January 3, 2013

UFO Time

I am pushing myself into cleaning up some UFOs so that I can start more new quilt projects - and I've gotten off to a good start!  A few days ago I showed 2 quilts I had finished recently but I didn't say much about them.  Here are the 3 quilts I've finished since Christmas!  I am trying to live up to my pledge to journal my progress to look back on, not just show my finished work. 


These 3 were already layered so didn't take long.  I was making a list of 2012 projects and I wanted to quick finish these few.  I am counting the one on the left as finished in 2012 even though it still needed hand binding.



The first is a little girl's throw - 36 x 52. It's reversible and makes the most of the little bit of doll fabric I had.  The solids I used are left-over hand dyes from a baby quilt I made for my granddaughter 13 years ago.  They make the softest quilt - very appropriate for it's future use for someone.





I can't remember the name of the pattern of this 'star' quilt.  I did a lot of free motion quilting - practicing really - but I consider it OK to practice even on quilts that I like!


Here is the back - I started quilting in the center with white thread on white and was afraid any color on the bobbin would bleed through.  Then I decided go ahead and finish the quilting with white bobbin color also.  I can more easily see what progress I am making and hope no one looks at the back!





The 'streaky quilt' is from a pattern - Zen Chic - that I saw made up in Sewing Party, my favorite quilt shop.  I quilted in vertical lines only, to emphasize the stripes in the pattern.  I used multicolor thread near the fabric stripes but was running out, so I changed to gray on the rest of it.  The backing is beautiful and was on sale!



I chose a difficult UFO next - the monster quilt.  Luckily I had finished an identical one about 7 years ago, so I had something to go by.  The 2 identical quilts were meant for my 2 youngest grandsons, but I didn't finish them in time for them to be used - they are now 12 years and certainly not interested in monsters.  I don't know who they will go to - I think they are much too pretty to be just stored on a shelf.  These quilts are about 72 x 90, have 27 little doors that open with a monster (that I fussy cut) inside.  The pattern appeared in Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting in September/October 2003.  The quilt and fabric were designed by Heidi Pridemore.


I started this project with my friend Connie (who has since passed away) and she helped me a lot constructing the first one and making a very good start on the second.  Of course she finished hers right away!


There didn't seem to be enough sashing cut, so I am cutting more of that fabric and hope I have enough.  It's a sort of cloudy Moda so I may find something similar.  I don't want to make it a smaller quilt since there are 27 doors made.  It would be a shame to not make it as big as those difficult doors would need.



On to monsters (and of course a few other projects)!


No comments:

Post a Comment